Friday, December 4, 2009

Andrew Kenny (American Analog Set/The Wooden Birds)


"I've always thought that the American Analog Set was great driving music. The Wooden Birds probably fall into that category as well. There's something about quiet repetition that works well with driving because your attention needs to shift from time to time. It's a bit like listening to a conversation, but drifting away for a moment. When you return, you still understand what's happening even though a point has been made and the conversation has moved on a little bit.

I moved back [to Austin] because I thought it would be a good place to start the Wooden Birds project. Now a year an a half later, I'm the only Wooden Bird that lives in Austin and the only shows we've played here have been on tour or at SXSW.

That being said, Austin really is a great place for music. It's an oasis in the middle of Texas, culturally, socially, politically, and geographically. Creative people make music here. People go to shows here. The city as a whole recognizes that music is a part of what makes Austin interesting.

Living in Brooklyn, my favorite place to listen to music was the on subway. In Austin, my favorite place to listen to music is on my bicycle or in the car. If I had to look for a common thread, I'd have to say it's that I most often do these things by myself. Maybe there are times that music is too distracting for conversation. And it can be too personal and sometimes embarrassing to experience that range of emotion when you're with other people.

[On the best venues to play]There are a few. Schubas in Chicago. The Great American Music Hall in SF. The Bowery in NY come to mind immediately. I like the way these venues sound and that's (probably?) important. There are any number of ways that a show can become memorable. Most fall into two categories though. Either your band sounds good there, like the few I mentioned just now or the crowd just makes it a great show. It is an interactive experience, after all. For that reason, I'd have to include the Astra Strube and Tanzhalle in Hamburg where I've played 2 of the most memorable shows of my life.

For me, space in music comes from patience. And patience is one of those virtues that home recordists can afford to have. Take that with a grain of salt, of course, because I've really only been on the DIY side of this particular fence.

Music comes in pieces for me. Guitar at home. Lyrics most often away from home. I don't know why that's always been the case.

My top 5 records from tour this Fall (not including books on cd and mixes) were:

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix Phoenix
The Dark Leaves Matt Pond PA
Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere Neil Young
Origin:Orphan The Hidden Cameras
3 Rounds and a Sound Blind Pilot"

Thanks to Andrew (via Ever) for the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment