Thursday, January 14, 2010

Doug McCombs


"These days I guess people mostly listen to music while commuting or walking around doing their daily routine. I would recommend listening to music while sitting in front of the stereo, preferably while looking at the gatefold sleeve that came with the record. Actually, something I prefer to that is listening to music on long road trips (possibly a distance that wouldn't qualify as commuting). Driving is inextricably connected to rock n roll. Wide open spaces, etc seem to make me pay more attention to music.

When I tour on a bus I hardly listen to any music at all. When I tour in a van I listen to lots of music. Television/solo Tom Verlaine, Latin Playboys, Neil Young Zuma, Link Wray, ZZ Top, I like awesome guitars when I'm driving.

The history of [Chicago]and it's culture... is very important to me personally and I'm pretty sure to our band as well. As we've grown and traveled, other places have become important to us also (some more than others), but being in Chicago is our grounding. Chicago has many flaws, but as a place to live and create it is refreshingly low on bullshit and has a strong work ethic. Sometimes good things that happen here are overlooked because Chicagoans bullshit meters are at such a high level that they are loathe to self-promote.

There used to be a venue in Chicago called Lounge Ax. Bad name, great place to play. Friendly staff, good PA, homey feeling. Now there's a place called the Hideout. I like playing in Chicago the best.

I write music sitting in front of the TV. I think zoning out opens my subconscious a little bit or something. Deserts, forests, bodies of water [inspire me]. I like cities too, especially if it's possible to see the layers of history in the place."

Thanks to Doug (via Rowan) for the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment