Thursday, November 19, 2009

Mt. Eerie


"This is a photo of Mount Erie.

(Mt Eerie) is a reference to the place, but it's also 2 words that are meaningful to me. "Mount Eerie" to me means, poetically, this looming ominous presence, a dark watcher. This is a feeling I have always been trying to evoke in my "work", and it was much more appropriate a name than "the Microphones". The fact that it was also a reference to an important place for me (I grew up looking at the mountain) was just a bonus.

(On the best place to listen to music) Everything sounds better in headphones, and with the lights off. The less stimulation from the world around you, the more you can get immersed in the world I tried to make in the recordings. But it's a lot to ask, I know, to have people listen so attentively. I'm hoping the album works with more superficial listening as well

(On the trip to Norway) The changes in my personality and ways of thinking that happened in Norway have stayed with me and kept changing in mysterious ways since then. I came back thinking I was going to be this new way forever, but of course I've kept changing as a person. That period in Noway is still significant for me because it was a time of deep quiet and focussing on listening, rather than walking around in the world and blabbing my mouth (releasing albums). I still try to remind myself about the importance of stillness and listening frequently. All this is reflected in my "work".

I like playing in any big wooden room. Churches are often like this. They're nice because they make what's happening inside them feel significant and they're made to sound good. Also, I like the feeling of smuggling my non-religious, vaguely pagan young ceremonies into these buildings. Location affects everything ever. I have only tried recording music in someone else's space a couple of times and it's always felt awkward. For me, recording is a process that happens as part of daily life in my nest-like home place.

I don't know where my musical inspiration comes from. I drove past a construction site recently. They were tearing up a freeway with an enormous machine. It was the loudest sound I've ever heard, and mostly bass. That was inspiring."

Thanks to Phil for the interview.

No comments:

Post a Comment